RH Midwife Vacancy at International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and natural disasters. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: RH Midwife
Requisition ID: req5657
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
- The Midwife is a member of the health team, and will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the Emergency Reproductive Health activities in Maiduguri including the MISP (Minimum Initial Service Package for RH in Crisis Situations) according to the IRC and donor work plans.
- She will work to ensure the improved quality of the project clinical activities e.g. family planning, maternal and neonatal care, case management of sexually transmitted diseases and the clinical management of sexual assault survivors in the IRC supported health facilities. The Midwife will ensure the well-being of girls and women in Maiduguri and Monguno both through the IRC supported health facility and through RH Services at community level.
- The Midwife is responsible for the oversight and implementation of Maternal and Neonatal Care, in particular: Basic Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care (BEmONC), Antenatal Care and Postnatal Care, Counselling and provision of Family Planning (including Long term methods) are offered according to MoH Guidelines at the IRC supported health facilities is of quality standard, Post Abortion Care.
- In line with the Minimal Initial Service Package (MISP),
- Provide the Clinical Care for Sexual Assault Survivors (CCSAS) according to national protocols and guidelines.
- Provide the clinical care activities in the IRC RH clinical area or at the maternity
- Adhere to and practice use of Universal Precautions and proper waste management at all IRC supported health facilities.
- Performs basic and assisted delivery care.
- Performs any needed neonatal and obstetric resuscitation activity.
- Ensures timely supported referrals to the nearest Emergency Obstetric Care center.
- Provide technical support and guidance to other midwives in assisted deliveries (by vacuum, forceps, and breech).
- Identifies survivors of sexual assault and refers them for registration, counseling and Clinical Care Support the RH and GBV clinic staff with technical advice, and provides services in line with the MoH and/ or international best practice guidelines.
- Monitor progress against grant work plan; promptly identifying any current or potential delays and recommending solutions to technical issues.
- Prepare Purchase Request forms for program supplies/activities and undertake field procurement as designated and authorized.
- Monitor program supply inventory levels; perform monthly spot-checks on program inventory
- Work with and provide timely technical support to IRC’s implementing partners; maintain respectful and constructive relations with partner staff, services providers and patients.
- Fully comply with IRC safety and security procedures and provide input to security monitoring and assessments to enable and promote a safe and secure environment for program implementation
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Emergency response lead/RH Manager
- Position directly supervises: Clinic support
- Indirect Reporting: RH Doctor, RH Officer
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Internal: Health team, WPE team
- External: Other SRH partners
- Qualified Midwife/Nurse with degree/diploma/certificate and a practicing license
- At least 2 years’ experience in midwifery and nursing care preferably in SRH, at BEmONC and at primary health care level
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Skills to communicate on sensitive RH topics, provide RH education
- 1 year of experience counseling survivors of abuse or violence with a reputable organization.
- Clear understanding of gender equality and gender issues for women and girls.
- Ability to maintain beneficiary confidentiality and respect at all times is essential.
- Ability to lead, train, supervise and facilitate other midwives, nursing staff and community health workers in their respective tasks.
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain composure and prioritize work under pressure, work overtime when necessary and be able to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Ability to work as a member of a team is essential.
- Ability to communicate in English and write clear and concise reports in English.
- Must be computer literate, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- English and Hausa a must, Kanuri and Shuwa will be an added advantage
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: For position in Monguno, indigenes will be given priority