Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health and Nutrition Advisor
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
- Project to restore the peaceful coexistence and social cohesion of the population affected by the conflict in the Lake Chad Basin is an upcoming 3 year multi country project to be implemented in Nigeria, Cameroon and Niger.
- The project has the objective to promote social cohesion through the rehabilitation of social infrastructure and the integration of IDPs and refugees.
- In Nigeria, the project will ensure adolescent girls and boys, as well as young women and men in Yobe state of Nigeria have access to appropriate and timely SRHR and nutrition services and structures and Community mediation structures are in place in the project areas to prevent and deal with conflicts between members of the community and to promote non-violent and peaceful coexistence of the various different groups living there.
- The project will be implemented by Plan International Nigeria in 5 LGAs of Yobe state in collaboration with the Yobe State Ministry of Health, Yobe State Primary Health Care Development Agency, local CSO partners and other relevant stakeholders.
- The purpose of this role is to provide strategic and operational advice and support to the Dimension Project team and partners in the technical delivery of the health and nutrition component of the project. The role will be a member of the Project Management Team.
Dimension of Role:
- Support the development, implementation and periodic review of the health and nutrition components of the project, including engagement with broad range of project stakeholders.
- Lead on the assessment of health facilities in line with minimum standards and working with stakeholders and partners to ensure the health facilities meet the standards.
- Lead on the development and implementation of all health and nutrition training activities on the project, ensuring the highest quality of standard.
- Support the implementation of a gender responsive community and health facility referral process.
- Lead on the support to health facilities to be more adolescent friendly and gender responsive.
- Contribute to project research and support Monitoring and Evaluation processes.
- Work with the Program manager to regularly develop and disseminate knowledge management materials.
- Support the Program manager to identify and celebrate campaign and event days related to the project.
- Participate in the joint monitoring of the health sector with Government and other partners.
- Work with the program officer to ensure community structures have the requisite technical health and nutrition knowledge, including comprehensive sexuality education.
- Provide technical insights in the development of curricula, advocacy and community mobilization strategies, including IEC materials and radio messages to ensure service delivery issues are captured.
- Regularly utilize project level data, to track progress against planned service delivery outputs and outcomes, and manage performance using RBM methodologies.
- Support Country Office Gender and Social Inclusion Manager in identifying, disseminate and address gender barriers to programming outcomes.
- Provide regular updates to supervisor and other project team members to inform project programming decision making and advocacy efforts.
- Provide technical support to partner activities to ensure consistency with project objectives.
- Identify success stories in collaboration with partners and share with Program Management
- Lead on the technical report writing under the supervision of the program manager. Work with community based structures for successful implementation of community outreach services.
- Support regular advocacies to local stakeholders to improve and sustain project buy-in and operations.
- Support the establishment and maintenance of good working relationship with the relevant State actors, local government authorities and other stakeholders.
- Assume any other responsibility as assigned by the Program Manager.
Administration and Finance:
- Support the Program Manager to ensure that all finance policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Participate in budget preparation and in ensuring spends and forecast are in line with plans.
- Support in the mobilisation of financial resources related to youth activities.
- Ensure that reliable communications/information management facilities are established and maintained.
- Ensure to use procedures and relevant protocols of Plan International Nigeria that are necessary in carrying out the project activities.
- Support the timely and appropriate use of all procurement and logistics infrastructure for the effective implementation of project activities.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
Qualifications and Experience:
- 6 year or more experience providing technical support to health and nutrition projects in Nigeria, preferably in Norther Nigeria.
- University education in medicine or health related course. An advanced degree such as MPH, MSc in relevant health field will be an added advantage.
- Experience in utilizing adolescent peer education methodologies and comprehensive sexuality Education in communities will be a plus.
- A history of productive involvement with local partners, including from government, traditional leadership, and civil society
- Demonstrated knowledge and background in community mobilization and engagement on health and nutrition projects.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, collaboration experience, creativity and willingness to innovate
- Experience drafting project reporting and monitoring project progress
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills
- Knowledge of Hausa language preferred but not required
Skills & Knowledge:
- Basic financial and administrative skills
- Communicates clearly and effectively appropriate to the audience
- Possession of good report writing skills
- Passion for learning and development.
- Good computer literacy skills.
- Team player
- Provides good and adequate administrative support to enable the project meet its agreed program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
Application Closing Date
16th August, 2019.
How to Apply