Nutrition Specialist Vacancy at Save the Children
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Specialist (National Position)
Job ID: 19000219
Post Type: National
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Team: Nigeria Country Office, Child Development Grant Programme
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- Support the uptake and implementation of high quality nutrition and SBCC strategy in CDGP focal states, while support the Federal Government on the integration of Nutrition and SBCC into the National Social Safety Nets Programmes in Nigeria to reduce malnutrition and stunting.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Senior Social Protection Specialist
- Staff directly reporting to this post: 3
Key Areas of Accountability
- The Nutrition specialist will provide technical support on Nutrition to the implementation of Child Development grant programme in Nigeria.
- He/She will provide specific support to the integration of nutrition sensitive approaches with special focus on the first 1000 days of life in government policies and plans. Specifically the specialist will;
- Design and implement a Knowledge, Attitude and Practice (KAP) survey in CDGP communities (Treatment 1, 2 and control) to determine retention rates of behaviours promoted during the programme
- Contribute to policy development relating to nutrition and ensure this is consistent with Save the Children overall approach.
- Coordinate the develop a technical guide for government in focal states on sustainable nutrition SBCC approach informed by the KAP assessment results
- Monitor the implementation of nutrition SBCC sustainability strategy by state government with special focus in ensuring the nutrition and SBCC strategy is being implemented according to the sustainability design
- Provide technical support through frequent field visits to programme states, presenting a report with recommendations.Support training of key government stakeholders on nutrition, first 1000 days and other related topics.
- Participate on technical meetings related to nutrition programmes, when requested.
- Contributes to the review and adaptation of existing technical resource materials, including guidelines, training manuals, curricula and job aids, as necessary.
- Ensure teams develop quality timely work plans according to the frequency requested by the project.
- In collaboration with the advocacy and campaign teams lead on nutrition advocacy and campaign.
- Support the knowledge management adviser to develop contents related to nutrition, ensuring technical and programmatic issues are captured accurately,
- Observe principles of child rights programming inform in all activities related to nutrition programming including design, analysis, implementation and M& E with a particular focus on gender and diversity, children’s participation. Ensure quality of practice by adhering to the SC Practice Standards on Child Participation.
- Ensure strong coordination and synergies with the other SCI nutrition projects
- Support recruitment of technical staff for nutrition project, as well as induction.
- Provide supervisory and technical support to the Nutrition and inclusion coordinators in the four implementing states.
Documentation and reporting:
- Support project teams to produce timely high quality reports and documentation both to meet donor and internal demands.
- Keep an updated database of proposal, reports and programme data for nutrition within the CDGP support the MEAL team on data analysis
- Provide information and other communication materials for effective support of other departments by meeting service requirements.
- Keep an updated library of nutrition related paper and documents for Nigeria, including HEAs, surveys, etc. carried out by Save the Children or any other stakeholder.
- In collaboration with the Country Office Nutrition, lead on all research related to nutrition carried out by the Country Programme.
Representation and proposal development:
- Create and maintain good relationship with key players in the nutrition sector at Federal and State levels (Government, development agencies, other organizations and research institutes) and represent Save the Children’s nutrition work in Nigeria as requested.
- Participate on the development and review of nutrition related national documents (guidelines, policies, etc.) providing technical inputs in line with Save the Children position paper, policies and evidence based programme expertise.
- Support proposal development, including budgets, for funding both to maintain and expand Save the Children’s work and influence within the nutrition sector.
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s child protection policies and other staff policies.
Place of Work:
- The post will be based in Abuja, but will require approximately 50% time travelling in other States.
Skills & Experience:
- Academic/professional qualification at post graduate level or equivalent in Public Health and/or Nutrition.
- Substantial operational experience (at least 3 years) and a track record of success on nutrition programming, including BCC and IYCF.
Experience in project management of at least 2 years.
- Demonstrable experience in budget formulation and monitoring.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work plans and evaluate progress.
- Demonstrable ability to acquire a high level of thematic expertise on priority issues within nutrition.
- Experience in providing technical support to partners and in particular government at senior levels.
- Proven capacity to develop a network of contacts with key players from amongst government, donors, international agencies and NGOs, to maintain these relationships over time and to raise significant funding from donor grants.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels.
- Tact and diplomacy are essential.
- Proven capacity to deliver results against objectives, reporting schedules and workplans.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Proficient in word processing, presentations and spreadsheet computer packages.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s values and mission.
- Knowledge of Hausa language.
- Experience in supporting development of national guidelines and policies.
- Experience working in Northern Nigeria.
- Understanding of food security and livelihoods programmes.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice):
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
9th August, 2019.
How to Apply