Sexual Reproductive Health Analyst – NOB Vacancy at The United Nations Population Fund
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting personnel for the vacant position below:
Job Title: Sexual Reproductive Health Analyst – NOB
Job ID: 25374
Locations: Gombe and Akwa Ibom 3 Openings and Abuja
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Duration: One year (renewable based on availability of funds, duration of project and satisfactory performance).
- The State Programme Analyst will provide substantive inputs to programme formulation, monitoring and evaluation, joint programming initiatives, development frameworks with a strong emphasis on supporting the implementation of the Norway project in the Federal Capital Territory under the Country Office in Abuja; Akwa Ibom State under the Calabar Sub-Office and Gombe State under the Kaduna Sub- Office.
- S/he will provide oversight of programme implementation; guide and facilitate the delivery of UNFPA’s programmes; and, ensure appropriate application of the tools, available guidelines and procedures for sexual reproductive health and rights, and gender.
- S/he will support government and CSO partners on strengthening institutional capacity to mainstream gender in selected institutions; and enhancing community capacity to protect women’s and girls’ rights in the areas of gender-based violence, and gender sensitive and responsive integrated SRHR and HIV/AIDS programmes.
- Under the general supervision of the UNFPA Resident Representative & Deputy Representative and the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist, Gender/RH, Abuja, Heads of Office for Kaduna and Lagos Sub Offices, the SRH Analyst will work closely with the RH teams in at the Country Office and the Kaduna and Calabar sub-office and the larger UNFPA Programme and Operations Teams using UNFPA and national systems and tools to deliver results.
- S/he will work closely with the SRH Analyst at the Country Office, the RH Specialist and ASRH Analyst at the Kaduna sub-office, State Ministries of Health and Planning, Local Governments, NGOs and partners to improve SRH in the States.
How You Can Make a Difference
- UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
- In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
- UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
- The UNFPA Integrated approach to empowering adolescent girls and women in Abuja, Gombe and Akwa Ibom States through access to Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights Project works to improve access to sexual and reproductive health services and rights of women and adolescents in the targeted states.
- The programme Analyst will endeavour project achievement, works to strengthen the operational capacities of national partners and community-based organizations to address social norms in order to improve access to SRH services and prevention of child marriage.
- UNFPA Nigeria is also working closely with States in support of government-led efforts to keep girls in school, increase uptake of SRH and family planning information and services, reduce teenage pregnancy and improve maternal health outcomes.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You will be responsible for:
- Collaborating with State Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners, contribute substantively to integrate reproductive health and rights dimensions in UNFPA programming, monitoring and evaluation and ensure that reproductive health and rights issues are taken into account in addressing population issues;
- Providing technical assistance in 3 States within the framework of agreed work plans for successful implementation of the reproductive health and rights and gender component of the UNFPA Country Programme;
- Helping to create and document knowledge about current and emerging reproductive health and rights and gender issues, by analyzing programmes, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and disseminate to relevant team members for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies;
- Assisting in advocacy and resource mobilization efforts of the Sub Office by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, donor profiles and participating in donor meetings and public information events;
- Creating and deliver effective evidence-based advocacy messages to promote UNFPA’s programme goals taking into account political and social sensitivities;
- Mobilizing government counterpart obligations and explore opportunities for additional resources in support of reproductive health and rights initiatives in the States.
- Promoting UNFPA visibility in States;
- Analyzing and interpret the political, social and economic environment relevant to population and development, reproductive health and gender and identify opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention;
- Keeping abreast of new policy developments and strategies analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks;
- Monitoring the reproductive health and rights content of the UNFPA Country Programme, ensuring that it is in line with the National Strategic Framework and State development policies and plans for the effective and efficient provision of reproductive health services;
- Collaborating with relevant stakeholders (Governments, NGOs and CBOs) in the design of materials pertaining to reproductive health, adolescent reproductive health, IEC/BCC advocacy in support of the implementation of reproductive health programme;
- Undertaking advocacy activities with policy makers at all levels to ensure sustained support for utilization of reproductive health services;
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned by UNFPA Representative and/or Heads of Office in the Kaduna and Calabar Sub-Offices and Abuja.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Reproductive Health, Public Health, Gender, Population Studies, Development Studies and/or other related social science field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant post-master’s degree working experience in programming for SRH/family planning;
- Demonstrable experience in reproductive health and family planning programming in northern Nigeria;
- Experience working on ending child marriage and keeping girls in school in northern Nigeria;
- Knowledge of population, reproductive health, gender/gender-based violence and young people/youth;
- Experience in the promotion of and building national capacity in sexual and reproductive health issues including in comprehensive sexuality education/FHLE;
- Demonstrated experience in strategic programme management with strong technical knowledge of reproductive health/family planning, young people and gender;
- Interpersonal and communication skills for the dissemination of information and leadership for advocacy activities that should progressively lead to an increase in demand for and increase in uptake of SRH services;
- Experience in working with government institutions and donor organizations
- Excellent writing and presentation skills;
- Fluency in English required.
- Strong capability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English will be an asset.
- Fluency in any of the local languages spoken in Gombe (Hausa, Fulfulde, Tangale, Tera, Waja) and Yoruba in Oyo State would be an advantage.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Achieving Results
- Being Accountable
- Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
- Thinking analytically and Strategically
- Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
- Communicating for Impact
- Advocacy/advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Delivering results based programmes
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Facilitating quality programme results
- Technical knowledge
UNFPA Work Environment
- UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
Compensation and Benefits
- This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post.
- The package includes a competitive net salary plus cost of living adjustment, housing allowance, home leave, health insurance and other benefits.
Application Closing Date
29th August, 2019 (5pm, Nigerian Time).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This vacancy announcement is only for nigerian nationals.
- No expectancy of renewal in accordance with UN staff regulations 4.5.