FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Technical Officer (Health & Nutrition Services)
Location: Dikwa, Borno
Job type: Full time
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- The Technical Officer (Health & Nutrition Services) will provide technical and programmatic support to implement high quality care and support activities with primary focus on clinical management of integrated medical services at the LGA level.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide day to day technical and programmatic support related nutritional and integrated medical services at the facility level guided by strategies and approaches related to the implementation programs.
- Contribute to the development of lessons learned from programs and projects related to nutritional and integrated medical services and apply these lessons to modify existing programs and improve the design of new programs.
- Assist in strengthening a system of reporting on program progress against stated objectives and monitoring and evaluation frameworks.
- Contribute to the development of program strategies, subproject documents and work plans.
- Sensitize main stakeholders on CMAM and need for support and commitment for long term access to life saving activities for children; at this stage the overall entry/exit strategy can be shared emphasizing the vital role of the stakeholders to make this happen
- Works closely with assigned team to ensure activities are implemented according to standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Build capacity of Community Health Workers (CHWs) through organized trainings.
- Serve as organization liaison at coordinated external meetings and conferences if assigned.
- Plan and deliver trainings with support capacity building team on CMAM and IYCF
- Develop work plan for OTP, Stabilization Centre and IYCF activities according to the expected progress of the project
- Remain informed on current programs in the field of medical and nutritional management and related developments by assessing the needs of current IDPs and staying alert to any implication of such experience and research to the project implementation
Network and coordinate with the relevant sectors:
- Establish good relationship with the Local Government Area authorities and community leaders. Establish a network with the other actors in the working area (I/NGO)
- Establish a good understanding of the program within the community
- Establish link and meetings with the community leaders and different group existing in the working area
- Coordination and participation in Nutrition Cluster, and nutrition assessment/ survey groups and filing of meeting minutes
- Support, and actively participate the sub-Nutrition Cluster group meetings at district level constructively
- Represent FHI 360 nutrition programs when and if necessary vis-a-vis donors during their field visits
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- MB.BS/MD/PHD or similar Degree with 1 to 3 years relevant experience in clinical care with a sound understanding of humanitarian integrated health program delivery in resource constrained settings.
- Possession of an MPH or post graduate degree in a related field is required.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public health sector systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of health and nutrition in humanitarian programs.
- Clinical management and training experience and ability to understand full range of issues around integrated health program.
- Knowledge of Nigerian clinical setting, including government and non-government settings.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues in the communities
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English and Hausa communications
- Ability to work in an environment where there are physical discomforts associated with change in weather or discomforts associated with noise, dust or dirt.
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to facility
- Ability and willingness to stay at Local Government Area (LGA) at the field
- Well-developed computer skills.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan.
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
- FHI 360 is an equal opportunity employer. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- FHI 360 does not charge candidates a fee for a test or interview.