Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head Medical Supervisor
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Direct Supervisor: Health Coordinator
- To define, coordinate and monitor the medical activities, according to MdM protocols, standards and proce-dures whilst ensuring the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities, contributing to the overall improvement of the target population’s health.
- Under the direct supervision of the HPCo and technical guidance of the Medical Coordinator, the HEAD MEDICAL SUPERVISOR implements and follows up MDM’s PHC, SRH, Nutrition, EPI, GBV, pharmacy and health education activities in all locations where MdM is operational in Nigeria.
- He/she directly supervises the activities of MDM health facilities and the medical team performance, providing technical support to the MDM medical staff to improve access to healthcare within the target population. The head medical supervisor is under the guidance of the Medical Coordinator and Health Program Co.
- He/she will be responsible for team capacity building; preparation of training content and staff support as re-quired. He/she will contribute to the planning, monitoring and reporting of these activities.
- He/she shall conduct health needs assessments to identify opportunities to deploy further medical services in the region or reassess ongoing health activities.
Supervision, management and monitoring process of health activities/services:
- The Head Medical Supervisor will consistently monitor the healthcare situation in the area of interven-tion or any other locations upon request.
- Ensure that the medical staff are aware and competent in the use of the national, international, and MdM protocols in the management and treatment of illnesses (Clinical guidelines, IMCI, rational use of antibiotics etc.)
- Contribute to the updating of guidelines relevant to the activities.
- Provide regular inputs and propose any revision or update of health activities which will increase the public health benefit or efficiency of MdM programs.
- Actively participate in all necessary regular monitoring and supervision activities.
- Work closely with the IEC team to deliver effective, informative and relevant health education.
- Participating in the annual planning and budget for the project and in the monitoring and evaluation of the project with the Health Program Coordinator.
- Respect the importance of timely GBV case management and actively participate in the improvement of GBV services.
- Work closely with the MHPSS and GBV teams to ensure the integration of all components of the program and smooth referral.
- Oversee the referral of patients to secondary healthcare facilities and ensure their weekly follow up.
- Uphold principles of confidentiality and ensure that all team members do so also.
- Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the HR department, Nutrition Trainer, SRH trainer and the Medical Train-er, the associated processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility to improve staff capabilities.
- Improve the quality of care provided by evaluating the competency of the medical staff and building their capacity accordingly (formal trainings and on job trainings).
- Coordinate and monitor the daily working plan(s) of the medical team under his/her responsibility (absent personnel, vacations, leave requests), identifying and covering any gaps where necessary.
- Provide support to the medical supervisors in the management of the clinic staff (MdM rules and regu-lations, code of conduct, job descriptions, recruitment, staff leave and appraisals).
- Address HR needs and report any HR issues to the HPCo.
- Facilitate necessary staff meetings within the medical team.
- Ensure compliance with safety and security rules, and transmit all information relating to safety concerns to the rele-vant line manager.
- Share all relevant context and demography information and analysis with HPCo.
- Ensure accurate and complete collection of all activity related data relevant to the programs on a weekly basis, and re-port as soon as possible to the HPCo regarding any challenges or issues.
- Provide a weekly report to the HPCo, detailing activities, supervision, training given, assessments undertaken and chal-lenges encountered.
- Participate in the monthly reports according to MdM Nigeria SOP (i.e. Sit Reps, medical statistical reports, monitool etc.)
- Report any security related issues to the security focal person or any relevant security manager if absent.
External Communication and coordination:
- Maintain regular contacts with other medical NGOs and institutions through meetings, training, workshops.
- Attend health cluster meetings where appropriate.
- Represent MdM as the Health focal point and provide appropriate feedback to other stakeholders regarding MdM’s program objectives.
- Liaise with community members on health issues and acceptance of the MdM programme in the areas of intervention.
- Attend technical team meetings and coordination team meetings, as required.
- Assist the Coordinators in dealing with local health authorities and local partners.
- Performs any reasonable additional duties when asked by his/her supervisor
- The activities may change based upon the volatile situation of the context and the mission.
The head medical supervisor should always work in very close collaboration with:
- Clinic medical supervisors
- MHPSS supervisor
- SRH supervisor
- Community mobilization supervisor(s)
- Nutrition Supervisor
- Medical Trainer
- GBV Supervisor
- SRH Trainer
- Nurse/ Nutrition Trainer
- Monitoring and Evaluation department
- Education Medical Doctor or Paramedical Degree. Desirable specialization or training in Tropical Medicine or related studies
- Experience Essential 2 year working experience related to the diploma/degree and previous expe-rience in MDM in the field
- Languages Essential mission language, local language desirable
- Knowledge Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Strategic Vision
- People Management and Development
- Service Orientation
- Team work and Cooperation
- Commitment to the moral and ethical values of MdM, including those relating to a women’s health.
- Actively upholds and promotes principles of equality and human right to healthcare, free from discrimination.
- Because of the emergency relief nature of MDM’s work, working hours may be irregular and em-ployees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions.
- The employee shall respect Médecins du Monde – France’s schedule and Terms and Conditions of Engagement for National Staff and is expected to be available anytime to answer to an emergency and be flexible and avail-able beyond normal working hours if requested.
- This job description can be modified according to changes in MDM activities or in the context. It can be amend-ed at any time after mutual consultation, to fit the requirements of the programs.
Application Closing Date
7th October, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV explaining why you consider yourself suitable for this position and providing a valid email and telephone contact to: email@example.com using the “Job Title and Location” as the subject of the mail.