The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WaSH Technical Assistant (Water Supply)
Webcruiter ID: 4276515477
Employment type: Contract
Percentage of full-time: 100
Start date: 22/09/2020
End date: 31/12/2020
Overview / Description
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015 in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Borno and Adamawa states and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Livelihoods & Food Security (LFS); Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Education and Camp Management Camp Coordination (CCCM) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- NRC is looking for a WaSH Technical Assistant in water supply for our Mubi field office in North East Nigeria. The purpose of the WaSH Technical Assistant (Water Supply) position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the WaSH project in Mubi in line with strategy and Plan of Action
- The WaSH Technical Assistant reports to the Field Coordinator (Mubi) with technical support and management of the WaSH Team Leader for Area South.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- To assist WaSH Team Leader in coordination of the WaSH technical activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- To assist the WaSH Team Leader in all aspects of WaSH technical program planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- To assist in the identification of community water and sanitation needs
- To develop technical specifications and bills of quantities (BOQ) for works
- To assess the water and sanitation training needs of the community and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conduct water quality testing and sanitary inspection at water points
- Provides technical assistance to the WaSH Team Leader and local counterparts on issues of water and sanitation information and communication strategies
- Assists in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly WaSH technical reports, program documents, project proposals, and budgets
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities
- Assist WaSH Team Leader in breaking down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- To assist in ensuring that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures
- Supervise and contribute to the success of WASH activities implementation and performs any other duties as requested by WaSH Team Leader
- Bachelor’s Degree, Higher National Diploma in Civil, Water Resources Engineering or Geology (BAC 5) or its equivalent Technical projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an added advantage.
- Previous experience in community based water, Sanitation programs
- Must have knowledge of emergency Water supply, Hygiene, Sanitation requirements and protocols
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of Hygiene, Sanitation and shelter service delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Must have previous experience in training
- Excellent communication skills – written and spoken – in English required.
- Fluency in one or more of the context language
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets, familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ArcGIS and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Experience from working in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect.
We Can Offer / Conditions
- Commencement: September 2020
- Duration: 4 months (renewable)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions and structure
- Grade Level: Grade 4
- Duty station: Mubi
- Travel: 0%
- An approved health certificate will be requested before commencement of contract.
Application Closing Date
29th August, 2020.
Method of Application
Application procedures and CV registration:
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.